Meet the team
The Breast Care Nursing team is a group of 12 healthcare professionals whose role is to support our patients whilst they are receiving treatment at the BCU.
We consist of:
- Clinical nurse specialists (CNS) who have training in breast cancer care and counselling.
- An advance nurse practitioner who works alongside the surgeon in the one stop clinic and family history clinic.
- A reconstruction CNS who works directly with Mr Green and runs her own reconstruction clinic looking at patient information, wound management, and implant inflations and tattooing.
- Two assistant practitioners who work with the surgeon in theatre, and run the prosthesis/bra fitting service. They also provide breast awareness to our patients and the wider community.
- Healthcare assistants who support all of our clinics.
For more information contact Breast Care Nursing team on 01803 655634.
Since January 2010 all patients are required to be seen be seen within two weeks of referral (National Cancer Action Team/ NHS Improvement Plan 2009). This has necessitated the provision of “One Stop” clinics or “Triple Assessment” (TA).
Nurses are involved with these patients in:
- Results Clinics (initial diagnosis)
- Pre-operative talks/ pre-assessment – nurse led
- Operating Theatre
- Ward Rounds
- Follow-up clinics (post-op pathology)
- Wound Clinics – nurse led
- Prosthesis/bra fitting clinics – nurse led
- Symptom support – nurse led
- Moving-On-Group – nurse led
- Breast Reconstruction Clinics – nurse led
- Telephone Consultations – nurse led
As a team we are also able to support our patients with access to the clinical psychology team, the oncology CNS and the chemotherapy CNS.
We are here to support our patients through every part of their journey and pride ourselves on being accessible and thorough.