Community Neurological Rehabilitation Team
Torbay Community Neuro Rehab Team
Tel: 01803 547157
Email: Torbay Community Neuro Rehab Team
Office Hours: Monday to Friday, 8.30am – 4pm. Outside these hours please leave a message and we will contact you as soon as possible.
If you have an urgent query, please contact:
- Your own GP
- NHS Out of Hours on 111
- NHS Emergency 999
- Torbay Health and Social Care Team on 01803 219700
- Social Care Out of Hours on 01803 524519
What we offer
We are a community team of therapists working with people after a stroke or acquired brain injury.
Our team includes:
- Occupational Therapists who provide assessment, education and treatment; including cognitive and functional activities of daily living and returning to work. They also accept referrals for returning to driving and anxiety management.
- Physiotherapists who provide assessment, education and treatment including gait retraining and functional mobility, upper limb retraining, management of fatigue and management of motor impairment including weakness and/or spasticity.
- Speech and Language Therapists who provide assessment, education and treatment of communication difficulties (dysphasia), including reading & writing, and the assessment, education and treatment of swallowing difficulties (dysphagia).
- Assistant Practitioners/Rehab Support Workers may work with you to continue the treatment programme agreed with the therapists. The assistants are experienced in working with all the therapies and so can help you to work on several goals at the same time.
- Administration/Referral Support we have a dedicated referral co-ordinator and administrative staff who provide clerical support to the team.
- We also have links with the Clinical Neuro-Psychology Team.
What to expect from our service
During your appointment we will discuss with you and your family how you are managing following your stroke/brain injury. We also plan some goals you would like to work towards, before we come to visit.
At our initial visit, we will discuss which members of the team would be most appropriate to help you and how often you will be seeing them. Some therapies will be offered in a group setting. Therapists will encourage you to work towards your agreed short and long term goals, which will be reviewed regularly. Your therapy input will be provided according to your needs.
You may also benefit from
- Taking a rest break (up to one hour) at a similar time each day, in a quiet room. This can reduce fatigue and increase your concentration.
- Eating nutritious food at regular intervals and drinking water or squash. Reducing your intake of caffeine and alcohol.
- Build structure and routine into your day. This includes using a diary or calendar to assist your routine and aid recall of appointments.