Skills for weight loss and Maintenance (SkiM)
Are you looking for help to lose weight and to keep it off?
Many people lose weight, only to find they put it on again afterwards. This is often because they find it too difficult to continue doing the things they did to lose weight in the first place.
The University of Exeter Medical School and Healthy Lifestyles team have developed a programme to help people find sustainable ways of controlling their weight, that they can keep up for life. We are looking for people to try out the second version of the programme to see how well it works.
What is the study?
The SkiM (Skills for weight loss and Maintenance) study aims to help you find successful ways of managing your weight. The programme lasts 6 months and is led by trained facilitators. It involves meeting in a group every fortnight, and meetings take place in the Torbay area.
The programme is personalised to you, but includes:
- Weight-loss support provided by the Healthy Lifestyles Team
- Learning about different ways of keeping your weight under control
- Understanding why keeping weight off can be difficult, and learning ways of dealing with the difficulties
- How to manage your thoughts, feelings and behaviours so that they help rather than hinder your weight management
- How to deal with temptations and other situations that can lead you to “fall off the wagon”
- How to recover after any slips or lapses
- Finding a lifestyle that you are happy with and that also helps you manage your weight effectively for the rest of your life.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for the programme you must be:
- At least 18 years old
- With a BMI in the range 30-50 kg/m2 (27.5-50 kg/m2 for people of black or South Asian heritage – check your BMI)
- Ready and willing to commit to the behaviour changes required to manage weight
- Willing and able to attend the full programme and make arrangements to travel to the programme venue
- Able to understand the study information, to engage with the SkiM programme written materials, and to complete outcome questionnaires.
We are unable to accept people who:
- Are currently pregnant, or planning pregnancy during the next year, or having given birth in last six months
- Have a diagnosed eating disorder
- Have a medical condition judged by a GP to seriously limit capacity to manage weight (e.g. terminal illness, uncontrolled thyroid disease, dementia, psychosis).
- Are currently participating in another weight management programme
- Are currently participating in other interventional research
- Have attended a Healthy Lifestyles weight management programme in the last twelve months.
How do I join?
The free programme restarts in October 2016; we’re recruiting now and there are a limited number of spaces available.
If you’re interested in joining please call the Healthy Lifestyles Team on 0300 456 1006, or complete our contact form and select SkiM.