Newton Abbot Minor Injury Unit extends x-ray services this bank holiday
25 May 2017
Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust has extended the opening hours for x-ray services this bank holiday at Newton Abbot’s Minor Injury Unit (MIU).
The unit, based at Newton Abbot Community Hospital, will be on-hand to help deal with any minor injuries or aliments people may have.
Newton Abbot MIU is open from 8am – 10pm, seven days a week.
X-ray services would not ordinarily be available at Newton Abbot over weekends or on bank holidays. However, the Trust has organised for x-ray services to be available from 9am – 5pm at Newton Abbot across the bank holiday weekend. Details for Newton Abbot MIU are as follows:
- Saturday 27 May MIU open 8am – 10pm, x-ray services 9am – 5pm
- Sunday 28 May MIU open 8am – 10pm, x-ray services 9am – 5pm
- Monday 29 May MIU open 8am – 10pm, x-ray services 9am – 5pm
Newton Abbot’s Minor Injury Unit is one of a number of MIUs* located across Torbay and South Devon. The units can deal with:
- cuts, grazes or wounds
- sprains, strains, muscle or joint injury
- broken bones (fracture)
- skin complaints – bites or stings (including human bites), minor burns, including severe sunburn and minor skin infection which needs treatment
- emergency contraception
- minor head injury
- eye problems such as a minor eye infection, scratches or something that is stuck in your eye.
Liz Davenport, Chief Operating Officer at Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust, said: “We are encouraging residents and visitors across Torbay and South Devon to choose the most appropriate NHS service to meet their needs over the bank holiday period.
“Our Emergency Department (A&E) at Torbay Hospital sees around 70,000 patients each year, a number of whom have minor injuries or common illnesses and aliments that could have been self-medicated or treated by a more appropriate NHS service.
“In addition to our Minor Injury Units, there is also the NHS 111 advice line which is manned by trained nurses 24 hours a day, seven days and week. A number of pharmacies across Torbay and South Devon will also be open over the bank holiday period to ensure that medicines are readily available, and to provide expert health advice.”
The opening times, contact details and addresses of each Minor Injury Unit in Torbay and South Devon can be found via: www.torbayandsouthdevon.nhs.uk
MIU opening times over bank holiday weekend: (Sat, Sun, Mon)
- Newton Abbot Hospital: 8am – 10pm, with x-ray services 9am – 5pm
- Totnes Hospital: 8am – 9pm (no x-ray)
- Dawlish Hospital: 8am – 8pm (no x-ray)
- Paignton Hospital: Bank holiday Monday only, 8am – 5pm (no x-ray)
If you have any queries regarding these press releases, please contact the Communications Team.