Child and young people’s safety

Health Visiting and School Nursing - Safety

Information on keeping your young child, teenager and family safe, with links to local and national advice and videos and accessing further help.

Did you know?

  • Accidental injury is one of the biggest killers of children in the UK.
  • Most accidents happen in the home, lots of these accidents are preventable.
  • More than two million children under the age of 15 attend A&E every year due to accidents in and around the home.

Your 0-19 team may contact you following your child’s attendance at A&E to offer any ongoing support if needed.

What you can do

It is never too soon to start to prepare against accidents in and around the home.

Your 0-19 teams and Children’s Centres can advise you regarding home safety.

Please see these resources for advice regarding accident prevention, including, choking, suffocation, burns, falls, mobile baby safety etc.

Useful leaflets

You’ll need to buy a baby car seat before your baby is born. It’s important to buy one that fits your car and is suitable for a newborn. The NHS website has information on choosing a baby car seat.

Child sexual exploitation is a form of child sexual abuse. It happens when another person or a group uses power to persuade, manipulate or trick a child or young person under the age of 18 into sexual activity.

The victim may have been sexually exploited even if the sexual activity appears consensual. Child sexual exploitation does not always involve physical contact; it can also occur through the use of technology, eg mobile phones.’

  • Both girls and boys can be victims of CSE and can be equally at risk.
  • 16 and 17 year olds can be victims of sexual exploitation; although they can give consent to sexual activity and relationships, they cannot consent to exploitation or abuse.
  • ‘Groomers’ and CSE abusers can be adult, or children themselves; and can be male or female.
  • CSE is not a ‘class’ issue, and can occur in all types of family.
  • Children do not have to be ‘missing’ from home or care to be victims of CSE.

How can I get help?

If you are worried that you, or someone you know is at immediate risk, the first thing you should do is contact the police on 999. If you have general worries about your own, or somebody else’s situation contact call the Safeguarding Hub on 01803 208 100 or email and give as much information as you can.

For more information, signs of grooming or that a person might be trying to groom you, that someone you know might be being exploited, visit Torbay Safeguarding Child Board.

NSPCC’ guide to help you keep children safe when they’re using the internet, social networks, apps, games and more.

The Royal Life Saving Society UK (RLSS UK) is the Drowning Prevention Charity and the UK’s leading provider of water safety and drowning prevention education.

We would welcome your feedback on the 0-19 Health Visiting and School Nursing pages. If you would like to do so, please complete our feedback survey.

Translate this page: