Adult Social Care in Torbay

Care Act

Care and support in England is changing for the better. The Care Act, which came into force on 1 April 2015, will help to make care and support more consistent across the country.

Care and support

‘Care and support’ is the term used to describe the help some adults need to live as well as possible with any illness or disability they may have. It can include help with things like getting out of bed, washing, dressing, getting to work, cooking and eating meals, seeing friends, caring for families and being part of the community. It might also include emotional support at a time of difficulty and stress, helping people who are caring for an adult family member or friend or even giving others a lift to a social event. Care and support includes the help given by family and friends, as well as any provided by the council or other organisations.

Your wellbeing

Many of us will need care and support at some point in our lives and most people will pay something towards the cost of their care. The new national changes are designed to help you plan for the future and put you more in control of the help you receive. Any decisions about your care and support will consider your wellbeing and what is important to you and your family, so you can stay healthy and independent for longer. If you receive care and support, or you support someone as a carer, you could benefit from the changes.

You can download a copy of the above information in our Care Act leaflet. You can also download an easy read version of The Care Act leaflet.

Independent Age has written a factsheet ‘Assessment and care services from your local council‘. It may help you have a greater understanding.

The A Guide to Independent Living in Torbay booklet will inform you how we can help you and work with you to support yourself. You are the best person to say what’s right for you.

You may need a little bit of help

You could need a bit of help to support you to keep managing at home. This could be things like cleaning, gardening and maintaining your social life.

There are lots of services which can help you and we have over 40 web-based local Information Sheets covering the questions that we get asked most frequently.

Equipment and daily living aids

The Safe and Well website has information on equipment that can help you live more independently.

Organising your own care

You can organise and pay for all of your own care. The Care Quality Commission (CQC) are the regulator of care providers; you must check if your choice of agency is registered

Adult Social Care Local Account Summary 2021-22

The ASC local Account Summary 2021-22 is a summary of what we have been doing for adult social care in Torbay over the last year, including how we spend our budget and what you have said about the service.

Do you support someone?

Torbay Carers Service can help you if you are a family member or friend of someone who needs your support, the Care Act includes changes to support you.

Information leaflets

Further information

Translate this page: