Healthy Living with type 2 diabetes – course options
You can access the course in a number of different ways to suit your individual needs.
Everyone will complete a set of questions (on the CONNECTPlus® app or over the phone) to determine the best course options for them and any additional support needed.
- 2 x three hour sessions
- Torbay or South Devon locations
- Morning or afternoon sessions
- 4 Microsoft Teams sessions lasting 1 hour
- Afternoon or evening sessions available
Course content available over an app that people can work through at their own pace with information regarding local support services.
All courses offer:
- Comprehensive coverage regarding; What diabetes is, complications of diabetes and ways to reduce the risk, medication, what is a healthy balanced diet, weight management, alcohol intake, food labelling, physical activity, emotional wellbeing, goal setting and support available.
Face-to-face and virtual courses offer:
- Access to a learning resource of videos and useful links that will remain available after the course is finished.
- Opportunities to ask questions to a practice nurse and a dietitian.
- Opportunities for peer support.
How to access type 2 diabetes education
You can be referred to this programme by your GP practice or you can self-refer by calling us on 0300 456 1006 or email Torbay Lifestyles. Please see below for the information you will need when you self-refer.
In order to self-refer you will need your NHS number, your date of diagnosis and HbA1c, cholesterol and Body Mass Index (BMI) readings. These can be found on your records using the NHS app. If you are able to access the NHS app we recommend that you do so as it allows you to view your readings and medical information.
The NHS app can be used to:
- View your health records securely
- View your NHS number
- Order repeat prescriptions
- Get health information and advice
- Book and manage appointments
- If you have an email address and a mobile phone number you can access your test results using the NHS app
To have an NHS account and use the NHS app or NHS website to access NHS services, you must be aged 13 or over and registered with an NHS GP surgery in England. The NHS app is available on iOS and Android, or you can access your NHS account using the NHS website.For details on how to access the NHS app please visit The NHS Website – Getting started with the NHS app.