Healthy Living with type 2 diabetes – virtual course
The 4 week virtual course includes a one-hour weekly Microsoft Teams meeting. Each meeting will be led by a health professional and will include other participants who are newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Before the meeting, you will be asked to watch a few short videos around the topic of that week’s meeting and complete some pages in a workbook. The Microsoft Teams session is to go through any questions you may have about the content of the videos, it is therefore very important to watch the videos prior to a session. The workbook allows you to get the most out of the video and gives you an opportunity to write down questions for the Microsoft Teams meeting.
For this course you will need:
- Internet connection
The pre-course session is designed to support you in getting used to the technology and additional support is available if needed.
- Padlet – you will be emailed a link to a website where all videos, documents and useful links are stored.
- Workbook – you will receive a digital workbook. Pages of the workbook link to different videos. We will discuss the activities in the workbook during the Microsoft teams meeting. You do not have to share anything you complete in the workbook unless you wish to.
- Microsoft Teams – you will be emailed a link and instructions on using Microsoft Teams. 4 Microsoft Teams meetings over a 4 week period. Each meeting will have videos and workbook pages linked to it (listed in the workbook) and the Microsoft Teams meetings will discuss the activities and answer any questions you have.
- What is diabetes?
- What are the complications linked to diabetes?
- How to reduce your risks of complications
- Information on medication
- Eating well for diabetes
- Weight management
- Sensible drinking
- Food labels
- Physical activity and diabetes
- Emotional Wellbeing affects your diabetes
- What next
“I think I’m still in a bit of denial at having diabetes so it’s useful that the videos are there so that I can go back to it.”
“Not done anything like it before so didn’t know what to expect. It was very helpful. The best thing was other people like me were on there and it was nice to be able to see and listen to them.”
“It suited me down to the ground as I don’t like groups so could turn the camera off but could still participate. Being online was more comfortable.”
“Very informative and enjoyed. Doing it at home – minimises the time and travel rather than the full morning course.”
“This gave me a lot of confidence and reduced stress as to how I could manage this problem.”
“Such lovely staff. So knowledgeable and so good at making people feel at ease. I have found the course really valuable in putting myself in a more positive frame of mind and feeling I can take control of my diabetes now.”