Healthy Living with type 2 diabetes information for referrers
There is strong evidence about group education courses – often referred to as ‘structured education’ – that shows they:
- significantly improve long-term glycaemic control and therefore reduce the onset of devastating complications, such as amputation, blindness and kidney failure
- significantly improve quality of life and self-management skills
- are cost-effective and can even save the NHS money by reducing the onset of costly complications.
As a result, diabetes education courses are recommended by NICE and, in Scotland, SIGN.
This course is only for people with confirmed type 2 diabetes over the age of 18 who are not pregnant. Please complete the below referral form (click to open).
Formulary guidance for Healthy Living with type 2 diabetes
Please visit the South & West Devon Formulary and Referral ‘Healthy Living with Type 2 Diabetes‘ pages.
Come and see what we do
We welcome referrers who would like to come along and see what the course involves.
If you know what is involved it can be easier to see its value and encourage your patients / service users to attend.
If you would like to arrange shadowing or have any questions about the healthy living with type 2 diabetes course or anything you would like to discuss about this then please email Torbay Lifestyles.
Diabetes Prevention Programme
We do not run the National Diabetes Prevention Programme (NDPP). For further guidance, please visit:
- South & West Devon Formulary and Referral – Diabetes Prevention Programmes
- Healthier you – NHS Diabetes Prevention Programme