Eating well and managing your weight
Eating well is important and it can be hard to know what’s best for you and your family. To help we have listed a variety of useful resources and tools that are from reputable sources. Use these to help you have a better understanding of nutrition and how it impacts your health.
If you need further support you can always contact the Healthy Lifestyles Team or book a Healthy Lifestyles assessment.
Be Food Smart app
One You Easy Meals App
MyFitnessPal and My Diet Diary
MyFitnessPal is a comprehensive app available on the Apple iTunes store and Google Play Store with a free and premium option, most users will find the free option will be more than sufficient so don’t feel you need to pay for the premium version. The app allows you to track your food and exercise whilst automatically calculating your calories; this tool can be very convenient as you can record foods by scanning their barcodes with your phone camera.
My Diet Diary is a similar app which can be used to track your weight and intake. My diet diary is free for both Android and Apple devices. This app has very similar features to MyFitnessPal and is very user friendly.
What’s your BMI? – NHS BMI calculator
Use the NHS body mass index calculator to find out if you or your child are a healthy weight.
NHS Calorie checker
Use the NHS calorie checker to check how many calories your favourite foods contain.
NHS 12 week weight loss plan
Download the NHS weight loss guide, a popular, free 12-week diet and exercise plan. The plan is designed to help you lose weight safely – and keep it off.
- BDA Weight Loss fact sheet: Information sheet from the British Dietetic Association on losing weight.
- NHS BMI Chart: Use this chart if you want to know if your weight is appropriate for your height.
- NHS food labelling guide: Use this guide to help you understand how to decipher food packaging.
- The Eat Well Guide: The Eatwell Guide shows how much of what we eat overall should come from each food group to achieve a healthy, balanced diet.
- Change4Life recipe Ideas: Healthy recipe ideas from the Change4Life website.
- Tips for healthier and cheaper shopping: Ideas on how to shop smart and make healthier meals that don’t cost a lot of money. Ideas on ways to cook your favourite meals with your own cheaper ingredients
- British Dietetic Association healthy eating advice: How to have a good diet and eat a variety of foods to improve general wellbeing,
- British Dietetic Association Eat well, Spend less fact sheet: Tips form the association of UK dietitians on eating well and spending less.
- British Dietetic Association Fact Sheet on portion sizes: This Food Fact Sheet by the Association of UK Dietitians provides an overview of recommended portion sizes of typical foods
- British Dietetic Association Fruit and Vegetables Factsheet: Fact sheet on how to get your 5 portions of Fruit and Vegetables a day from the British Dietetic Association
- British Heart Foundation Eat Better booklet: 60page booklet from the BHF giving practical ideas for your to look after your health and reduce risk of heart disease.
- British Dietetic Association Healthy eating for children: Healthy Eating advice for families and children from the British Dietetic Association.
- Healthy Eating for Toddlers: Healthy Eating information for toddlers from the infant and toddler forum.