Children’s Learning Disability Health Team

The Children’s Learning Disability Health Team offers a specialist community based service for children with a learning disability within Torbay. This video explains who we support and how we work. If you have any questions please do contact us; we will be pleased to hear from you whether you are a service user, a parent or carer, a professional supporting a child, or young person with a learning disability, or just someone who wants to know more about our service.

Children’s Learning Disability Health Team
1st Floor
St Edmunds
Victoria Park Road

Tel: 01803 656570
Email: Children’s Learning Disability Health Team

Find us on Facebook

Who do we work with?

We support children and young people from birth to 18, where the child has been diagnosed with a learning disability (‘an enduring developmental delay that has a significant impact on the daily life of the child and the family’). This may affect the child’s physical and sensory development, emotional well-being, communication skills and health needs.

Services we provide

We work in close collaboration with families and carers to promote good emotional and physical health for the child or young person with learning disabilities.

Our aim is to provide a high quality, holistic needs led service, focusing on the behavioural and developmental needs of the child or young person with a learning disability, which may include children with a duel diagnosis (e.g. Autistic Spectrum Conditions and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder).

We work closely with parents and professionals supporting the child to develop a consistent approach.

Here are some examples of how we could help:

  • Support in accessing health services
  • Sleep awareness training and advice
  • Behaviour support and advice
  • Understanding and supporting autism
  • Mental health issues
  • Total communication
  • Toilet training and continence
  • Personal hygiene
  • Sexual health
“Self-management by parents is the aim of the service”

How do I get referred?

Our service can be accessed by a professional working with a family. This could include: GP, school nurse, health visitor, care manager, teacher or anybody else working with the child.

Health professionals must include confirmation that parents/carers have given consent for the referral to this service.

Translate this page: