How can I find out more about DoLS?
We are regularly updating the information for each service as we step up more and more. This page will be updated as soon as possible. In the meantime if you have a specific query please contact the service directly for more information.
The Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards is supported by ‘The Mental Capacity Act 2005 Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards, Code of Practice’ .The Code of Practice provides guidance to anyone working with and/or caring for adults who lack capacity, but it particularly focuses on those who have a ‘duty of care’, to a person who lacks capacity to consent to the care or treatment that is being provided and where that care or treatment may include the need to deprive them of their liberty.
The Code of Practice is also intended to provide information for people who are or could become subject to the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards, and for their families, friends and carers, as well as for anyone who believes that someone is being deprived of their liberty unlawfully.
The Department of Health have produced a series of six information booklets.
- Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards: A guide for primary care trusts and local authorities
- Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards: A guide for relevant person’s representatives
- Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards: A guide for hospitals and care homes
- ‘Making decisions: The Independent Mental Capacity Advocate (IMCA) Service’
- Mental Capacity Act 2005 Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards: A guide for family, friends and unpaid carers
- What are the Mental Capacity Act 2005 Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (leaflet)
The ‘What are the Mental Capacity Act 2005 Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards’ leaflet is also available in other languages.
- House of Lords Mental Capacity Act 2005: Post-Legislative Scrutiny Report
- HM Government: Valuing every voice, respecting every right: Making the case for the Mental Capacity Act
- Department of Health: Mental Capacity Act 2005 – Valuing every voice, respecting every right: One year on
- The Law Society: Identifying a Deprivation of Liberty: A practical guide
- Mental Capacity Act and Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards Law Commissions consultation summary
The Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE) provide a suite of information to include key documents, eLearning, short films, case law and guidance.