Patient Transport Services
Patients can now book their own transport by calling our Patient Transport enquiry line on 01803 656777 between 9am and 3pm weekdays (not Bank Holidays).
Booking requests need to be received at least 48 hours before the day of travel to a hospital appointment.
Full details of Eligibility Criteria for Patient Transport Services.
Serving Torbay Hospital’s patients and the NHS in the South Devon area run by Torbay and South Devon NHS Foundation Trust.
The South Devon Hospital Car Service depends on and is indebted to its volunteer drivers, without whom it would be impossible to provide patients with this additional means of getting to hospital.
Who can use the Hospital Car Service?
The Hospital Car Service is for patients who have no other way of getting to their hospital appointment because they:
- Are unable to use public transport, and
- Have no other available form of transport including family, friends and neighbours, but
- Are able to get in and out of a saloon car with the assistance of only one person.
We do not expect patients to use the Hospital Car Service unless they really need it.
What areas does it serve?
You can travel by hospital car to an appointment at any of South Devon’s hospitals: Torbay Hospital or any of the community hospitals.
How much will it cost?
How do you book a hospital car?
You need to call at least 48 hours ahead of your journey date.
Transport for follow up appointments should be requested at the hospital when your follow up appointment is arranged.
- You will not receive confirmation that the booking has been accepted.
- Please give a minimum 24 hours notice of cancellation or change of journey details.
- If you wish to check your booking details or cancel the booking, please telephone:
When you travel by Hospital Car
- Please ensure you are ready to travel at least one hour before your appointment. More time should be allowed the greater the distance from the hospital.
- You are asked, please, to have the correct money available for each one-way journey (our drivers don’t carry change).
- The published Hospital Car Service Charge must be paid on entering the vehicle. If you refuse to pay, future transport will be denied.
- In the event of unforeseen circumstances or miscommunication, we cannot guarantee transport and accepts no responsibility for events and costs as a result of no transport being available.
This ambulance service provides suitable transport for patients who are considered by a doctor/midwife to be medically unfit to travel by other means. Transport by ambulance will not be provided for those patients whose medical condition does not prevent them from travelling by other means i.e. on foot, by public or private transport – either their own or provided by relatives or friends, or a volunteer service (such as the Hospital Car Service).
Torbay Hospital’s Patient Transport ambulance fleet is available for patients meeting the medical eligibility criteria.