Pre-Assessment Clinic (next to the Surgical Admissions Unit)
Level 7 (Blue Zone)
Torquay TQ2 7AA
Telephone: 01803 655597
What is Pre-Operative Assessment?
It is a check used before an operation to ensure that patients are fully prepared for their hospital admission, treatment and discharge home. This is a patient’s opportunity to voice any concerns they may have about topics such as pain control.
What happens at the Pre-Operative Clinic?
- Patients will be seen by a qualified pre-operative assessment nurse who will discuss the patient’s general health with them.
- We will undertake a full assessment of the patient’s general health, social and mental wellbeing.
- It is important that things like blood pressure, allergies etc. are identified so that appropriate measures can be taken.
- A patient may have several investigations, these may include: – blood tests, a heart tracing (ECG), a chest X-ray.
- Patients will be asked what services they may need when they are discharged from hospital.
- The patient will be asked about arrangements for transport home from hospital when they are ready to go home.
- Patients will receive information about their admission and time in hospital.
Our standard of care
- We aim to ensure that our patients care meets their specific needs.
- We will help and guide patients by involving them in their care to ensure that they have a full understanding of their hospital stay, operation and the care they will receive afterwards.
- We will provide information to support a patient’s admission to hospital.
- We will discuss any worries or concerns that the patients have.
Your notes and questions
It is important that patients feel they can discuss any worries or concerns they might have about coming into hospital for an operation.
We encourage patients to write down any questions they may wish to ask and bring this with them.
How to find the Pre-Operative Clinic
The Clinic is situated in Zone B, on Level 7 (old Block) , next door to the Surgical Admissions Unit.
Please use the following walking maps to direct you:
- Breast Care to Pre-Assessment Clinic
- Dental Outpatients to Pre-Assessment Clinic
- Directions from ENT Reception to Pre-Assessment Clinic
- Fracture Clinic to Pre-Assessment Clinic
- Gynaecology Outpatients to Pre-Assessment Clinic
- Hetherington Unit Entrance to Pre-Assessment Clinic
- Outpatients Reception Level 2 to Pre-Assessment Clinic
If you require assistance, please let us know as we can arrange a guiding service for patients who can walk unaided.
A portering service is also available to assist patients who are unable to walk unaided.
You may be asked to carry your medical records in a secured transit bag to the clinic.