Hope Programme in Torbay
Tel: 01803 320600
Email: Hope Programme
What is HOPE?
The Trust has developed a programme to help local people struggling with long-term health conditions; build confidence and learn how to manage their condition(s), including mental health issues such as anxiety, stress and depression, better. The HOPE Programme (Help Overcoming Problems Effectively), and is based on a course developed by the University of Coventry to help people cope better with long-term medical conditions.
The programme helps you to focus on you as a person, not as a long-term condition. It helps you to discover new strengths and rediscover old ones to keep yourself well. It also aims to boost your self-confidence and resilience, to help you cope better emotionally, psychologically and practically with your condition. This is not therapy but more therapeutic!
The course will help you to:
- Feel more able to support and share your experiences with others to help you feel less isolated.
- Feel reassured and able to recognise your own potential and enhance your happiness and quality of life.
- Feel more confident in dealing with emotional issues such as: anxiety, anger, depression and uncertainty.
- Increase your ability to handle stressful situations.
- Discover how to use relaxation techniques to refresh your mind and body.
- Learn how to make plans and achieve goals that can help you make changes for the better.
- Use the skills from the course to improve and self-manage your life.
The course is free to attend and it takes place at various times and locations throughout Torbay and South Devon. A typical course is 6 weekly sessions, that lasts for 2 hours and 30 minutes. These are run by trained HOPE facilitators, which include health and social care professionals, as well as volunteers. Once you have completed the course you may wish to become a facilitator yourself.
We aim to have between 6 – 12 people on each course to ensure everyone’s contribution, and feeling more of a group. Time on the course will be spent in discussions, fun group activities and sharing information. There will also be some suggestions and ideas to try between each session to build your confidence.
On each course you will find:
- A warm, friendly atmosphere
- Support when you need it
- General small group discussions on topics such as:
- Managing fatigue
- Getting more active
- Feeling good
- Goal setting
- Gratitude Diary
- Managing stress
Who can attend?
Age 18+ (please be advised that we will be running courses specifically for young people in the future and will be advertising these as and when available).
Specifically for people who you feel are overwhelmed with their health issues or who are not so good at self-management. If you wish to bring along a friend, family member, or a carer for support, please do.