Hope programme in Torbay
Tel: 01803 210493
Email: Hope Programme
The Trust have now developed a programme to help local people struggling with long term health conditions – build confidence and learn how to manage their condition/s better. The new programme is called HOPE (Help Overcoming Problems Effectively), and is based on a course developed by the university of Coventry to help people cope better with long term medical conditions.
The programme helps you to focus on you as a person, not as a long term condition. It helps you to discover new strengths and rediscover old ones to keep yourself well. It also aims to boost your self-confidence and resilience, to help you cope better emotionally, psychologically and practically with your condition.
The course will help you to:
- Feel more able to support and share your experiences with others to help you feel less isolated.
- Feel reassured and able to recognise your own potential and enhance your happiness and quality of life.
- Feel more confident in dealing with emotional issues such as: anxiety, anger, depression and uncertainty.
- Increase your ability to handle stressful situations.
- Discover how to use relaxation techniques to refresh your mind and body.
- Learn how to make plans and achieve goals, that can help you make changes for the better.
- Use the skills from the course to improve and self-manage your life.
Hope is delivered by health or social care professionals from within the Trust, alongside facilitators that have lived experience, who also have long term conditions (and understand what you are going through).
There are between 6 – 12 people on each course and time is spent in discussions, fun group activities and sharing information. There will also be some suggestions and ideas to try between each session.
Who can attend?
Age 18+ (please be advised that we will be running courses specifically for young people in the future and will be advertising these in the future).
Specifically for people who you feel are overwhelmed with their health issues or who are not so good at self-management. If you wish to bring along a friend, family member, or a carer for support, please do.
How do I book on the course?You can self-refer by filling the form below, or by using the contact details above. Be aware they will need your full name and contact information and the dates you would like to attend (these cannot be promised as courses will be booked on a first come first served basis). You can also be referred to the programme by your GP or a health professional through the contact info above.
HOPE is delivered in six consecutive weekly sessions, and is about two hours long, held in various locations around the bay.
There are currently no dates on offer. Please check back for future dates or email our Hope Programme.
Take that first step and come along and find your HOPE!