Oral & Maxillofacial
Oral & Maxillofacial
Torquay TQ2 7AA
Secretary: 01803 656237 / 656243
Fax: 01803 655011
Outpatient booking: 01803 656321
Inpatient/Day Case booking: 01803 656317
Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery is a surgical specialty dealing with conditions of the face, jaws, neck and mouth.
What is the purpose of the OMFS service at Torbay?
The aim is to provide a diagnostic and treatment service for conditions affecting the above areas.
The outpatient service at Torbay Hospital includes assessment, investigation, diagnosis and treatment.
What type of treatment is provided?
The following types of treatment are undertaken:
- Dentoalveolar surgery – difficult tooth extractions.
- Oral Medicine – ulcers and infections of the mouth.
- Orthognathic Surgery – surgically moving the jaws.
- Trauma – treating fractures and lacerations.
- Treatment of oral and facial cancers.
- Treatment of neck lumps and salivary gland swellings.
- Diagnosis and treatment of facial pain.
- Treatment of jaw joint disorders.
- Dental Implants in conjunction with Restorative Dentistry – for patients who conform to the Hospital Protocol.
- Combined clinics with Consultants in Restorative Dentistry and Orthodontics to manage complex dental and facial conditions.
- Combined clinics with Consultants in Otolaryngology, Oncology, palliative care to manage Head and Neck Cancer patients.
Is there any cost for OMFS treatment?
There is no cost for NHS treatment.
Who oversees the OMFS service?
There are 3 Consultants in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery.
How can I be seen in the OMFS department?
Your medical GP or dentist must refer you to the OMFS Department where you will be seen under the care of one of the consultants.
Patient advice leaflets
There are leaflets available for each speciality via National Bodies/Groups which are listed in our useful links.
A 24 hour service is available for those patients with an OMFS emergency; these include:
- Uncontrolled bleeding
- Facial swelling
- Fractures (including dentoalveolar trauma)
- Patient’s dentist requests an emergency opinion.