Can I become a HOPE facilitator?
We are always on the lookout for more facilitators to help deliver the HOPE programme. Would you like to be able to help people with long-term conditions become more confident and cope better emotionally, psychologically and practically with their conditions? If so, this may be for you.
Facilitator training is open to anyone who has attended the HOPE course; however, once the course is completed you will be expected to help deliver HOPE courses for others.
Why become a facilitator?
Kate Guest is one of our HOPE Facilitators, and when asked how a recent course went she stated:
“Brilliant! Loved it. We had a great group, really gelled; want to continue to meet up (me included). We had compliments about the combination of myself and Jeanette. Jeanette is a dream to work with, she’s a lovely lady. People said how much they had learned, there was so much positive change for people. We even did dressing up and dancing in my belly dance costumes on the last day which has a surprising side effect for one person. It was a joy to watch her and hear what she said. The group more than met my expectations, they completely surpassed them.”
Guidelines for facilitators
As a HOPE Volunteer Facilitator you commit to:
- Helping to facilitate a six week course, up to three times a year.
- Arriving at least 30 minutes before to set up, as well as leaving at least 30 minutes at the end of the session to clear up and reflect.
- Providing up-to-date contact details.
- Ensuring all information shared during the programme remains confidential.
- Looking after yourself and your wellbeing and to raise any issues/concerns that you may have either to your co-facilitator or to the HOPE lead trainer
- Reading the volunteer handbook (provided by the Volunteer Services team).
- Deferring decisions to the lead facilitator (Trust staff member).
- Informing the lead facilitator of any disclosures and/or perceived safeguarding issues.
- Keeping up-to-date / ‘in the loop’ with what is going on regarding HOPE – please read all emails and newsletters sent to you.
- Ensuring you’ve got a HOPE Facilitator Manual and to bring this to each to each session. If your manual is lost or damaged – to inform Olivia Weight so that she can provide you with a replacement.
- Completing the travel expense form if you are travelling by car or public transport and wish to be reimbursed.
- Letting us know if you no longer available a) to facilitate the 6 week course b) to facilitate a specific week during the 6 week course c) to be involved in HOPE as a facilitator.
Please refer to our chart to see the volunteer facilitator recruitment process.
If this sounds like something you would like to do, or to find out when the next facilitator course is, contact Olivia Weight on 01803 210493, or via our contact form.
HOPE Facilitator courses
Dates: 5th + 6th November 2019
Times: 9:30am – 4.30pm
Venue: Ockment Centre, North Street, Okehampton, EX20 1AR